In the 1770’s lands called Patchy Croft belonged to the Ponsonby family of Parton in the Parish of Moresby.
In November 1779 Henry Ponsonby, yeoman, ( on behalf of his father William Ponsonby) sells Patchy Croft to Andrew Creighton of Harris Park, St. Bees, yeoman; on which land Andrew had recently erected two dwelling houses; for the sum of £29 and an annuity of 40 shillings to be paid to Anne, Andrews wife (almost certainly she was a daughter of Henry Ponsonby).
In the same month Andrew takes out a mortgage on the property with William Bell of High Park, St. Bees, yeoman, for £60 + interest and for a term of 500 years; the money to be repaid in one years time and an annual rent of one peppercorn to be paid at the Feast of St. Michael the Archangel (29th. Sept.), if demanded. A further sum of £33 + interest was concluded with Bell a few days later.
In 1806 Edward Kilpatrick of Whitehaven, mariner and his wife Jane, sell land called Patchy Croft Head to John Spedding of Workington, yeoman, for the sum of £80. The land had been in the occupation of Edward Hill & George Lowther, farme
rs.In 1807 Creighton, now of Dumfries, North Britain, sells Patchy Croft to John Spedding for £93 + interest, secured on the mortgage with Bell.
In 1809 Spedding and his wife with the agreement of William Bell sell the properties to William Stitt of Whitehaven, merchant, for £320.
In 1812 Stitt sells the properties together with another close of land called Pleasant Hill Close formerly owned by William Perre of Moresby, gardener and previously to Robert Miller of Whitehaven, gentleman; to Milham Hartley of Rose Hill, Moresby, for the sum of £200..
In 1815 Hartley sells to the Rev. Richard Armitstead of Whitehaven for £300.
In 1833 Agnes Armitstead of Whitehaven, widow, sells to William Randleson of Floraville near Whitehaven, gentleman,” all that messuage or tenement with the Stable, Wash House and Gardens called CROFT HILL formerly known as Patchy Croft & Patchy Croft Head, for the sum of £525.
In 1866 Randleson is living at Croft Hill and in his will of that year he leaves the property to his son in law Gilfred William Hartley of Rose Hill, Moresby.
In 1903 Croft Hill is put up for sale by auction but it would appear that a sale was not effected for in 1909 John Musgrave of Whitehaven, esquire, agrees to the piping of a supply of water from a spring in Summer Hill Field to Croft Hill which is owned by Margaretta Hartley and her unmarried sisters Isabella Mary; Blanche & Constance Ruth, of Scotby near Carlisle; for the sum of £1 p.a.. Gilfred William Hartley is a witness to this agreement.
In 1920 Oliver Fray Ormrod is living at Croft Hill which he purchases in that year from Gilfred William Hartley of Moresby, North Berwick, esquire and his unmarried sisters for the sum of £700.
On the 15th of October 1954 Oliver Fray Omerod sells Croft Hill to Dr H.A Fleming
On the 30th of June 1977 Dr H.A Fleming sells Croft Hill to Dr G.W.S Burgess.
On the 10th of May 2007 Dr G.W.S Burgess sells the house to Andrew Crayton and Joanne Lockwoo
Census Returns for the 19th. century show that the occupants of CROFT HILL were:-
1841 – Margaret & Jane Randleson + 2 household servants.
1851 – William Randleson, widower, Chemist & Jane his sister + 3 household servants.
1861 - William Randleson, widower, Iron Manufacturer & Chemist + 2 household servants.
1871 – William Miller, widower, Mine Owner & Iron Implement Maker, with his son William aged 6 and his sister Sarah aged 45, unmarried and an annuitant + 3 household servants.
1881 – Henry A. Fletcher, Engineer & Magistrate with Lucy Maria his wife, 2 sons & 3 daughters + 4 household servants.
1891 – Emily M. Marley (wife) with 1 daughter & 2 sons + 2 household servants and a visitor. Mr. Marley was not at home. This family had moved to St. Bees by 1901.
The Journey of Croft Hill Guest House
After buying the property in 2007 Andrew and Joanne undergone a program of renovation and modernisation to enable Croft Hill to be opened as a historic guest house with modern amenities sympathetically restored so as not to affect the character of the building